The India Platform welcomed Dr. C. N. Ashwath Narayan, Member of Legislative Assembly for Malleshwaram Constituency, Government of Karnataka, and Dr. Jayakara Shetty, Managing Trustee of Dr. C.N. Ashwath Narayan Trust, for a one-week introductory visit. The delegation learned about different aspects of our Flemish educational system, with a focus on skill development. Meetings were organised in the following institutions:
– IVG-School, Gent (Pre-primary and primary education)
– Sint-Jozefinstituut, KOGEKA, Geel (Secondary technical and vocational education)
– Ghent University (Higher education)
– University College Ghent and HoWest, Kortijk (Higher education)
The delegation also
– visited educational projects like MyMachine Global Foundation and the Technical Professions House (“Beroepenhuis”) – met with representatives of supporting organisations like Regional Technological Centra (RTC) and Centra for Student Support and Tutoring (“CLB”)
– had a conversation with Mrs. Elke Decruynaere, Alderman of Education and Youth for the City of Ghent about the role of local governments in education.
A second focus for the visit was on the Mutual Health Care system in Flanders. The delegates were invited by the Christian Mutualities for Mid-Flanders for a discussion about the Belgian Social Security system. They visited the general hospital ‘Maria Middelares’ and the ‘Primary Care House’ in Ghent (“Eerstelijnshuis”).